C.p. Singleton of The Musings of C.p. Singleton’s Mind has nominated me for a Liebster Award. Technically, nominations are reserved for blogs with 200 followers (or less) – which I’ve been blessed to exceed – but with gratitude for the nomination and to follow the spirit of the Liebster, I want to highlight some up-and-coming bloggers. Here are the 4 terms of accepting a nomination (from C.p.’s nomination post) –
1. Thank the Liebster Blog presenter who nominated you and link back to their blog (above).
2. Post 11 facts about yourself, answer the 11 questions you were asked and create 11 questions for your nominees (below)
3. Nominate 11 blogs who you feel deserve to be noticed and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been chosen (bottom)
4. Display the Liebster Award logo (top).
11 Facts About Myself
1. I’m wearing pajama bottoms right now with a vivid pattern of chickens and eggs displayed vertically.
2. I’m listening to “Artist Radio Based on Iris Dement” on Spotify. A woman named Mary Gauthier is singing, “A Long Way to Fall”.
3. Yesterday, I completed the second draft of “The Family Room” section of my spiritual memoir Delight in Disorder: Meditations from a Bipolar Mind.
4. I’ve been watching (and greatly enjoying) episodes from Season 2 of the TV show, “Numb3rs”.
5. I had Kentucky Fried Chicken for lunch. In addition to chicken, I had cole slaw, mashed potatoes with gravy, and a dinner roll.
6. I plan to go to an open mike night at Joey G’s in Madison, Indiana on May 8, to see my college roommate and hear his son perform.
7. I once worked at the Kentucky Derby supervising college student ticket takers to make sure they didn’t accept bribes.
8. My water jug says, “If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink.” (John 7:37)
9. My cousin Cam Baxter’s son Ian Jackson is having a graduation party tonight.
10. I’m looking for a driver for a road trip from Columbus, Indiana to Austin, Texas to see Zoe Muth at The White Horse on May 19. I will pay for the gas and buy you 1 beer the night of the performance (as long as I can drive afterwards until you sober up).
11. It’s now time to eat. I’m having a chicken pasta salad. Care to join me?
Answers to 11 Questions
1) Why do you blog?
I blog to have a creative outlet, to make new virtual friends, to gain readership, and (hopefully) give glory to God.
2) Are you paper published?
In a manner of speaking, I am. I published some poems and short stories in my college literary journal Kennings. I have published meditations in the devotional magazines These Days and Upper Room. I published sermon reviews in Lectionary Homiletics and a book review in The Presbyterian Survey.
3) Why does the Easter Bunny deliver chocolate eggs and is the chocolate hen ok with that?
The Easter Bunny delivers plastic eggs with money in them at my Grandma’s house. The next time I see a plastic hen, I’ll ask how she feels about it.
4) Are you comfortable working to a genre?
I’m wrestling to narrowly define my two works-in-progress within a genre. I would like them to be “bridge-builders”. I’d like people who have a mental illness to read Delight in Disorder to find faith there. I’d like church folks to read it to better understand the mind of a person with Bipolar. Also, with my short story trilogy – Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, I would like to bring together orthodox Christians and secular atheists to discuss these stories that reveal value and consequences (hopefully in an engaging way).
5) Skirt or trousers?
Trousers, I suppose (though I call them “pants”)
(6) Favourite children’s book?
Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
7) First record bought?
Hotel California by The Eagles.
8) Tony the Tiger or The Milky Bar Kid to win a Rap battle and why?
I’m old school. Tony the Tiger rules. He’s way cool.
9) Place where your soul is forever kept?
As an orthodox Christian, I do not believe in a disembodied soul. My soul is who I am – body, mind, spirit. It is tenaciously kept by the Holy Spirit until death (or Christ comes), at which time I will be blessed with a transformed identity, a “spiritual body” (hopefully, one with hair).
10) Ever seen a ghost?
Seen? No. Felt a strong otherworldly presence? Yes.
11) which super power would you like?
I would like to be faster than a speeding bullet so I could run to Austin, Texas for Zoe Muth’s next performance and be back by bedtime.
11 Questions for Nominees
1. Who would you most want to be compared to as a writer?
2. If you could drive in a Nascar race or jockey in the Kentucky Derby, which would you choose, and why?
3. Who/what do you count as your muse?
4. If you could name a brand of coffee (or tea) you’d like to drink, what would it be?
5. If you were part of a group starting a new church (or “ethical club”), what would you call it?
6. Who (or what) motivated you to start blogging?
7. Name 3 (or more) songs you would like in the soundtrack of your life story.
8. What vocation/career did/do your parents want your parents want you to pursue?
9. What is your favorite unhealthy meal?
10. Have you ever gone on a blind date? If so, how was it?
11. Name a teacher or coach who most motivated you to learn in your life.
11 Nominees (in no particular order)