In the tenth post of Christmas, I truly give to you…
Lately, I’ve been on a poetry kick. I’ve been spending hours browsing posts tagged “poems” and “poetry” on WordPress. I’m searching various websites that post classic poetry that has reached the public domain. I even tried my hand at writing a poem (my first in over 20 years), prompted by a post at Today’s Author.
I didn’t want all my poetic prodding to go for naught, so I thought I’d share with you a few selections, with links to the poems and poetry blogs I believe are worthy of your attention. But before I get to the list, I’d like to share just 3 of the things I look for in a good poem.
1) Illustrative detail. Show me what sadness looks like – clearly. Don’t tell me you are sad – over and over again. Writing is therapeutic, but the casual reader shouldn’t have to play the role of the therapist.
2) Joy in the language. I particular appreciate those few-and-far between poems that are playful and poignant at the same time. Rhythm, alliteration, even an occasional rhyme or half-rhyme all serve to distinguish a good poem from the rest of the lot.
3) Meaningful imagery. Really good poems can take a single word-object, like a diamond, and let it shine throughout the lines such that it stays with you for a long, long time.
Now… here are five poems (in no particular order) found one Friday night –
“A Poem for Victoria Justice” (Kidz Showz) – I liked many things about this modern romantic epic – I’ll name three. 1) It has creative rhymes. 2) It’s cute and creepy at the same time. and 3) It’s self-deprecating in its humor, yet smart… Oh, and the hot philanthropist in the photo is a real babe.
“Unit 5 Dementia” (Plucky Umbrella) – Both the look of this post and the poem itself convey the heart-wrenching experience of so many who struggle as their minds slip away. This poem is gut-wrenching not because it tries to be emotional, but because it is true to something tragic.
– In the first post of Christmas, I truly gave to you…. “God is With Us (a Christmas Story based on Matthew 1.18-2.12)“
– In the second post of Christmas, I truly gave to you… “Assaulting a Felon with a Fruitcake.”
– In the third post of Christmas, I truly gave to you… “Some of the Best Christmas Blog Posts for 2012“
– In the fourth post of Christmas, I truly gave to you… “I Wonder as I Wander“
– In the fifth post of Christmas, I truly gave to you – “Be More Like a Child at Christmas (and beyond)“
– In the sixth post of Christmas, I truly gave to you – “Five Favorite Movies for the Christmas Season“
– In the seventh post of Christmas, I truly gave to you – “From India to Indiana: My New E-Pal“
– In the eighth post of Christmas, I truly gave to you – “What Sam Found in His Backpack After Break (A Prompted Poem)“
– In the ninth post of Christmas, I truly gave to you – “The Precise Dilemma: A Book Review“